This is how they announced with a sticky post that the malware incident was “over”.
It is an inadequate explanation and it fails to give proper advice. Polybore pointed this out (at the very end of the discussion) and magically the sticky post lost its stickiness.
It is all very well to say the situation has been resolved but where is the really useful information? e.g.
1. When was the malware distributing ad first hosted by BC?
2. Advice to BC members that if they visited BC between the time the ad was first put on BC and when it was removed they MUST scan their computer for Virus and Spyware.
3. General advice that users must keep their Flash plugin up to date to avoid these flash based attacks.
4. If anyone needs thanking it is Google for spotting that a BC ad was associated with malware but how long did it take for Google to spot the problem?
5. Some of these flash based malware attacks do NOT require the user to click on the ad. http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid14_gci1341749,00.html
Was this one of them?
The situation may be resolved as far as BC is concerned but is not necessarily over for members who may have had the security of their computer compromised.
Polybore is going to email BC admin asking them to answer/ action the points detailed above. If BC were to take the action Polybore suggests it would do them credit and polybore would be satisfied.